The Town of Oakville is pleased to release the 2016 Annual Report, highlighting key achievements in delivering on the goals outlined in the 2015-2018 Strategic Plan and continued success in maintaining Oakville’s fiscal health.
“Providing the public with a report card’ on the projects and issues affecting their community is one critical way Council and staff work to engage with residents,” Mayor Rob Burton said. “Council is proud to share some of the key accomplishments of 2016 in this year’s Annual Report.”
The town’s external auditors, KPMG, have again provided an unqualified audit opinion on the Consolidated Financial Statements. An unqualified, or “clean” audit opinion indicates that the financial statements prepared by the town are a fair presentation of the town’s financial position and financial results for the past year.
The report also outlines some of the town’s key successes achieved in 2016, including:
- Efforts to move forward in revitalizing our historic downtown took shape with progress on the Lakeshore Road East Reconstruction and Streetscape Project. In consultation with the community, a traditional streetscape furniture theme will be incorporated once the project begins in 2019.
- Public input also helped to shape the future use of the former hospital site lands, with demolition set to begin this fall and new community centre scheduled to open in 2020.
- The introduction of the Public Engagement Hub, Livable Oakville Performance Dashboard, launch of Oakville Transit’s Real-Time Bus Tracking app, and additions to open data sets all helped to advance the town’s web and digital strategies.
- Continued partnership with Oakville’s three Business Improvement Areas helped these important business districts move forward on their retail action plans with the implementation of the patio and parking strategy.
- Several reviews of the town’s Livable Oakville Plan took place in 2016 to explore how the town will accommodate growth and development in the years ahead, ensuring that Oakville continues to thrive as premier community to live, work and play.
To read about these and other accomplishments visit oakville.ca to view the 2016 Annual Report.